UN Sustainable Development Goals: taking action, making change
Introduction and aims
The Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) provide a roadmap for environmentally and socially responsible business. They form a blueprint for the world we want to live in, aiming to end poverty, reduce inequality and protect the planet. 2020 marks the start of a ‘decade of delivery’; that is, 10 years to make transformational change happen for us all. Further, the SDGs also offer a range of sizeable business opportunities, estimated to be worth around $12 trillion annually. In this context, there are at least 60 market hotspots where business can profitably drive transformation towards the Goals.
The aims of this workshop are to support Cornish SMEs to:
- Understand how the SDGs represent a business opportunity;
- Gain confidence in the role they can play on the global scale;
- Identify which SDGs are most relevant to their sector;
- Focus on the highest-impact areas;
- Use the SDGs as a business framework and to use this shared language to communicate business priorities; and
- Learn from best practice examples from around the world, including from other certified B Corporation case studies.
The workshop runs from 9:30 (registration and networking) until 15:30, and includes a networking lunch as well as one-to-one sessions with our distinguished guest speakers.
To book a one-to-one session with either of our speakers, or a member of the Tevi team, please email Edvard Glücksman of Tevi at [email protected].
Leap will also be opening their studios, based in the same building, for visits during lunch and after the workshop.
The workshop will include sessions delivered by key actors that are already driving change in alignment with the SDGs. These include:
- Fran van Dijk, partner at One Stone Advisors: Based in Scotland, One Stone are sustainability strategy and communications specialists, supporting enterprises to identify and prioritise key issues, align their activities with sustainability goals, and enhance communications around sustainability. One Stone is a certified B Corporation with globally recognised clients, including Carlsberg Group, Electrolux, Ericsson, Sydney Opera House, Tetra Pak and TUI Group.
- Matt Hocking and Simon Thomason of Leap: Leap are a design agency focused on incorporating people, planet and profit into the design process. As a founding UK B Corporation, and one of the few based in Cornwall, Leap is a pioneer in the subject of sustainability for business, always striving for higher standards.
Tevi is an ERDF-funded programme supporting Cornish SMEs to grow whist contributing to Cornwall’s environmental growth priorities and circular economy transition. Tevi currently supports over 300 enterprises through bespoke consultancy services, challenge networks and a grant scheme. Tevi is delivered by the University of Exeter in partnership with Cornwall Wildlife Trust, Cornwall Council and Cornwall Development Company.
Directions and travel
The Old Bakery Studios are centrally located in Truro, next door to BBC Radio Cornwall. Garras Wharf (next to Tesco) is the closest car park. Check this page to find out how the venue can be accessed using a range of public transportation options.
Data Protection and Privacy